Thursday, May 5, 2011

Poetry Reading

Earlier in the semester I attended a poetry reading at Reese Museum on the ETSU campus. The option to go was brought up in class. I have always been interested in poetry and loved hearing it. In high school we had a similar poetry reading and I loved it. Despite my love for poetry I did not have a positive attitude about going to this event. I thought that it was going to be super boring. I went into the poetry reading with a negative attitude but left feeling incredible. The event was very short, it seemed almost too short, but I was touched by so many different readings in such a short amount of time. One thing that stood out to me the most about their poetry was how real it was. This semester I have been reading poems that have been very difficult to understand and interpret. Their poems were flowing and alive. They had so much detail and emotion. I caught myself even tearing up at one of the poems which were about religion. Each of them was short stories and you could tell that the words meant so much to the poet that was reading them aloud. The audience did not understand every detail about each poem, of course, because they were personal events. Also, their poems did not have a certain structure or form. They were just free flowing. I am very glad that I went and experienced poetry from current writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment