Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wordsworth's "Tintern Abbey"

When reading this prompt, I immediately thought back to the poetry written by William Wordsworth. His passion for nature and the importance of appreciating its beauty completely drew me in. Out of all the poems we read by Wordsworth, "Tintern Abbey" stood out to me the most. The way he described the surroundings of Tintern Abbey during the beginning of the poem immediately caught my attention. Using phrases such as “impress thoughts of more deep seclusion” clearly shows he felt passionate about this location and felt sincerely at peace.

One idea, in particular, that I found relatable was the realization that, while he loved this place as a child, he did not show it the appreciation that it deserved. This, I feel, is something that has happened to many people. I have, unfortunately, experienced this feeling upon leaving home. I possessed negative feelings when living at home and now, I find myself wanting more and more time there. These feelings make me realize, much like Wordsworth, that I did not appreciate the time spent there when it was abundant.

No comments:

Post a Comment