Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"Funny when you're dead how people start listening."

When I first read “After Death” I thought the speaker was being sarcastic in the end when she states

“He pitied me; and very sweet it is
To know he still is warm tho’ I am cold.”

However, I now see that the speaker really is pleased to know that this male character pities her now that she is dead. I also got the impression that he cares more for her now that she has died than when she was alive which also pleases the speaker to know. This concept actually goes along with the song and video “If I Die Young” that we watched in class yesterday, especially the lyrics that say “Funny when you’re dead how people start listening” and “A penny for my thoughts, oh no I’ll sell them for a dollar they're worth so much more after I’m a goner.”
Moreover, I completely agree with these lyrics and this concept in general, it is somewhat ironic how people tend to pay more attention to someone or one becomes more “worthy” once they’ve passed on. Another instance of this is how some artists (like Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson for example) seem to be more famous in death than in life... Perhaps the speaker is pleased to know that she is loved more since she has passed away? I think this may be the case. Lastly, I’d like to mention that in the last line “To know he still is warm tho’ I am cold” I interpreted “warm” to not only mean his actual physical temperature (and the fact that he is still living) but also his new affection towards the deceased speaker.

1 comment: