Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"He did not love me living.."

"He did not love me living; but once dead
He pitied me; and very sweet it is to know
He is still warm tho' I am cold."

Rossetti's poem After Death depicts a woman's realization that the mourner truly does love her. This idea is simple enough, until you consider that the woman made this realization when deceased. I found that having the woman narrate the story when she was, in fact, dead to be an interesting touch. Because Rossetti did this, we are able to envision the mourner from the dead woman's eyes, if you will.

Why would this woman be happy upon realizing her mourner was grieving for his loss? It is easy to assume that the reason she felt pleasure from his pain is that she did not feel this love and appreciation when living. She seems satisfied in knowing that he did, after all, love her and perhaps she's satisfied that now, it was too late for him to do anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment