Wednesday, March 30, 2011

War Is Hell

DULCE ET DECORUM EST I can see that this could be seen as an anti war poem, reading it and visualizing the front line, first in action first to die. People die in war and it was a true poem. War starts to protect who's ever freedom at that point in time. I tried to put myself there in that time but it is hard. Sad to visualize the person next to you is dying right in front of you "Before my helpless sight" and this is all for; " It is sweet and right to die for your country "... I see him being anti war; anti people dying; he caught the Hell in war and wrote it. No where is there hey guys wake up breakfast... or wow that bar we were at last night rocked or wow we took that hill easy they just ran away after they saw us...Nothing happy in this poem! Ultimate Multiple Sadness !! Yes I agree that these words were a Lie. He was there his friends died and marched without boots and fumbled around to get the gas masks on "Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time"... and the description of that mate dying. No way he felt that it is good to die for any reason and yet, he made it, he got killed and we got his poem... I just can not believe he felt that it was good to die for your country, he may have enlisted with that thought and feeling but this poem expresses much pain and the true side of what war is....

No comments:

Post a Comment