Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Long-lasting Effects

The twentieth century has affected my life today in countless ways. First off, on page 1829 it states “..everyday life was undergoing rapid transformation during the first years of the twentieth century. Electricity was spreading, cinema and radio were proliferating, and new pharmaceuticals such as aspirin were being developed.” It is safe to say that we have all been affected by those rapid developments. Obviously I use electricity every day, listen to the radio, go to an occasional movie, and have consumed aspirin. Moreover, the scientific revolution that took place in the twentieth century has directly impacted my life today. I say this because as a result of the scientific revolution, I (and probably everyone else in this class) had or has to study certain scientific theories/topics in high school and in college. In fact, two of my classes this semester (Anatomy & Physiology and Intro. To Microbiology) embed a great deal of science which a lot of was probably discovered/developed in the twentieth century. Not to mention, devices such as X-rays, ultrasounds, and MRI imaging were developed in this century. All of these inventions are particularly important to me because I plan to work in the health field once I graduate. Overall, if it wasn’t for the scientific revolution then the world would not be so scientifically and technologically advanced today. Lastly, something that “jumped” at me in the reading that has personally affected my life is when the text mentioned that women were admitted to universities at different times during the later part of the century. If this hadn’t took place then I would not be where I am today, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to enroll at ETSU and major in whatever I chose.

No comments:

Post a Comment