Thursday, February 24, 2011

Elizabeth Browning is one of the best love-based poets I've encountered, because in each of her sonnets a very unique yet necessary aspect of love is talked of:

Sonnet 21- This shows the beginning of how love is started in a relationship. The word and feeling associated is new and exciting, which is why the woman continually asks the man to repeat himself. This shows how much love affects a human, making a grown man or woman act almost as giddy as a child experiencing ice cream for the first time.

Another Sonnet I enjoyed is Sonnet 43 due to its very powerful aspect of love- where the woman comes to the realization that she loves this man with everything she's got, "with the breath, smiles, tears, of all my life!" This is the part of the relationship where the couple realizes that they are more than content with each other, allowing her to say things such as she never knew she could love some one that much. I believe that this degree of love is not often found with most marriages... but a husband and wife who do share this bond will last for a myriad of years. She ends the poem saying, "I shall love thee better after death". Robert should, if for some reason not by this point, know that this woman is in total bliss when around him. I would be satisfied with life if I could find a woman that I connected with to such a high extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment