Wednesday, February 23, 2011

His resentment down on paper

The lost reader, or should it of been called the sold out writer, and if it were would it have been published. Robert Browning wrote this poem to attack William Wordsworth another writer of poetry, Browning did not like how Wordsworth's life went after his rebel days in his early years of writing. That time was a time of titles and prestige and if it were me and I finally grew up I would probably become more conservative as I grew older. I would want something more stable so why attack Wordsworth? Just for a hand full of silver he left us; just for a trinket, just for fortune, we read his poetry admired him, gave him money, loved him, honored him, and as the poem goes on Browning writes, One more devils-triumph and sorrow for angels; that would be enough but he writes One wrong more to man; one more insult to God. and followed it with. Let him never come back to us;.
Wordsworth received a job and a title and became a church goer, got into politics. That was treason in the poetry world "I guess", so what would I do if my writings had me able to become worthy of the queens court? What would I do in another time so far in the past when titles and money were thrown at me? Would I turn it down? I think that there would be a day when I would think that this particular road is easier and better To just grow up."Get A Hair Cut And Get A Real Job".
Since Browning liked and admired Wordsworth's early writings he appointed himself the chosen one to slam his conserveted choice in his elder years. Well I like a dramatic poems but this one is pretty outrageous.
This poem has only 2 stanzas and 16 verses in each. The rhyme scheme is abab throughout, it is a angry poem, when I read it over and over, you could feel the anger you can see it being read to an audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment