Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Gothic

I think Samuel Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, was intended to be gothic literature. In lines 63-65 the mariner describes how he saw an Albatross, which he assumed was good luck but he later killed the bird. The mariner says, " Then all averred, I killed the bird that brought the fog and mist," by saying this he is making the bird come across as supernatural. In the poem words such as death, fog, curses, snakes, and mist all cause the reader to feel fear. As I was reading I felt fear for the crews life as they approached the eerie ship. I didn't want to stop reading because I wanted to find out what was going to happen to them once they got closer. The descriptions used in the poem set a tone and an image of the supernatural, making the Rime of the Ancient Mariner a good example of gothic literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment